Thursday, June 19, 2008

LEMON CAKE PIE

*This dessert ends up with a cake like texture on the top and pie filling texture underneath





Now this was an experiment that went 2 ways

Looks: OK

Taste: Awesome


The next time I make it, ill be sure to fill-up my pie crust a little more with the lemon filling. I was scared that it would bubble out so I left a little room. Well it pretty much baked in place without a lot of rise or bubbling so next time...I'll end up with a much thicker filling.

Anyway, this treat has the came cake-pie because once its done baking the top of the pie ends up with a cake like texture and the bottom is more like a pie filling. It does this separation on its on.

If you love a lemon treat...you will definitely want to try this.
I served it with French Vanilla Whipped Cream.

ohhh and my hubby loves sweet tea so I made some tea and sliced my extra lemon to place on top
The filling will make more than enough for 1 pie. I just used it to make 2 pies ( I have the other to my neighbor)however I should've only made one and used the rest to make a few individual treats.



Lemon Cake Pie

1 9" deep dish pie crust (no need to defrost or prebake)
1 1/2 Cups sugar
2 tablespoons melted butter
1-3 cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel (takes approx. 2 lemons)
6 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (not concentrate...use the real stuff)
3 eggs, separated
1 1/4 cups milk


Preheat oven to 350 degrees

In medium size bowl stir melted butter and sugar, then add flour, salt, lemon peel and lemon juice (be sure there are no seeds) stir
In a small bowl, beat egg yolks with milk until well blended, then stir this into the lemon mixture
In a med. size bowl (best to use a cold glass bowl) beat egg whites with electric mixer until they have some peaks.
Fold the egg whites into the lemon mixture (don't over mix it )
Pour the filling into the pie shell
Bake for 30-45 minutes ( this will vary depending on the amount of filling used)
Pie is done once the top has browned and the center jiggles just a little

Cool before serving




3 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Mmm... lemon pie! Sounds and looks wonderful!

Unknown said...

That looks awesome!

sonya said...

I'm definitely bookmarking this pie! Yum! :)

P.S. Plz don't think I'm stalking you, lol! I recently joined BrownandBridal, & came across one of your comments. It linked here, & I knew you looked familiar (duh....from WBC). So, I did make a comment on your B&B page, just so you'd know who I was. Anyway, great to 'see' you, & thanks for the great recipes! I cant wait to get married too!